Cosmetic Dentistry FAQs
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers are one solution to improving the aesthetic smile you desire. If you have stained, chipped, misaligned, misshapen teeth or gaps between your teeth and want a completely custom solution to achieve a beautiful smile, porcelain veneers might be right for you!
Dental veneers are thin ceramic coverings placed over the front (visible) part of the tooth and look very natural. Dental veneers are a conservative option in achieving an esthetic smile because porcelain veneers bond well to enamel so minimal tooth structure needs to be prepped.
If you want to improve your smile with cosmetic dentistry, then veneers are a good treatment option for you. Along with proper care at-home, such as good brushing technique’s, flossing daily, and regular scheduled checkups every six months, they are sure to provide you with a beautiful, healthy smile for years to come.
Why Won’t My Teeth Whiten?
There are several reasons your teeth may not be whitening with the products you are using.
- Any dental restorations such as crowns, bridges or existing fillings will not whiten, only your natural teeth can whiten.
- It could be the type of product you are using that is not giving you good results.
There are a lot of whitening kits available to purchase. It is recommended to choose bleaching strips, whitening toothpaste, or whitening mouthwashes that are approved by the American Dental Association (ADA). Some whitening systems found on the internet are not approved by the ADA and can be harmful to your enamel.
In-office professional teeth whitening may be a better option to achieve a brighter smile. Professional teeth whiteners are safe, effective, and done under the supervision of a dental professional. Depending on the amount of stain, one whitening system may be better than another. Talk to your Dentist to see what the best option would be to get a brighter, whiter smile!
How Can I Fix My Crowded Teeth Or Close My Gapped Teeth?
Orthodontics is one of the best ways you can correct misaligned teeth such as crowded or gapped teeth. Invisalign is clear aligner therapy that has become very popular among adult patients.
Straightening your teeth not only has cosmetic benefits but also functional and preventative benefits. Straighter teeth can improve your bite and protect your gum and bone health while achieving a beautiful and aesthetic smile.
Clear aligners or “invisible braces” is just as effective as traditional metal braces. It is highly recommended to undergo this treatment with a trained dental professional. Do it yourself or “DIY” straightening puts your teeth, gums, and overall dental health at risk. Moving your teeth without direct supervision can result in lifelong dental problems.
Preventative Dental Care FAQs
How do I prevent cavities?
There are several ways in preventing cavities and improving your dental health:
- Be sure to check the sugar content in what you eat and drink.
- Reducing or eliminating sugary foods and/or sugary drinks can help reduce the risk of cavities.
- Brushing and flossing after every meal and using fluoride toothpaste are other helpful tips.
- If you have well water or have a filter that uses reverse osmosis, it can be very beneficial to use a special prescription toothpaste that your dentist can prescribe.
- Another preventative measure would be fluoride varnish treatments after your dental cleaning every 6 months.